About This Course
This is a closed group course of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP), offered with the support of the Innovation Norway. This course is open only to the destination representatives and professionals within the Innovation Norway Sustainable Destination Scheme.
*Registration is now closed.
Sustainable Tourism Training for Industry Professionals
The Sustainable Tourism Training Program (STTP) provides the knowledge and resources needed to help improve sustainability practices by tourism industry businesses and destinations. Built on the framework of the GSTC Criteria, the global baseline standards for sustainability in travel and tourism, the STTP training class will help you achieve tangible actions that fulfill the globally recognized standard of sustainability best practices.
Certificate in Sustainable Tourism
By completing this 4-week online training class of the STTP, you will meet the training requirement towards earning the GSTC-endorsed Certificate in Sustainable Tourism. Once you complete the class, you will have have access to the official STTP Exam, and upon successful completion (75% and above passing mark is required), receive a Certificate in Sustainable Tourism by the GSTC.
Module 1: Effective Sustainable Tourism Management
The first module provides an introduction to the GSTC Criteria, the definition and principles of sustainable tourism, and the GSTC's roles in the global tourism industry, and discusses best practices in sustainable tourism management approaches (GSTC Criteria Section A).
- Understand the roles of the GSTC and the GSTC Criteria.
- Learn about and discuss relevant sustainability issues and tourism trends.
- Become familiar with sustainability management principles and discuss best practices.
Module 2: Socioeconomic Impacts and Local Community Benefits
The goal of the second week is both to dive deeper into the GSTC Criteria and to discuss practical steps to applying the Criteria in the real-world context, focused on understanding the socioeconomic impacts of tourism activities, and on effective strategies for reducing negative impacts (GSTC Criteria Section B).
- Understand issues and challenges related to the socioeconomic impacts of tourism.
- Learn about sustainability practices that effectively address the socioeconomic impacts of tourism.
- Discuss practical application of the GSTC Industry Criteria through a business case study.
Module 3: Cultural Heritage Preservation and Promotion
Continuing on with lessons and expert presentations on the GSTC Criteria, this week focuses on how tourism businesses and destinations can minimize negative impacts, maximize benefits to local communities and protect cultural heritage through sustainable tourism (GSTC Criteria Section C).
- Understand issues and challenges related to the impact of tourism on local cultural heritage.
- Learn about best practices on reducing negative impacts of tourism activities on local cultural heritage.
- Discuss how to maximize tourism's benefits for communities, visitors and local cultures through sustainability practices.
Module 4: Resource Management and Environmental Conservation
In the fourth and last module of the course, key strategies for reducing tourism's environmental footprint are presented, and practical action steps in implementing sustainable resource management and conservation practices are discussed (GSTC Criteria Section D).
- Understand issues and challenges related to the environmental impacts of tourism.
- Learn about best practices on reducing footprint and positively contributing to conservation.
- Discuss how to achieve optimal results for the local environment, while supporting business growth.