WHAT: Massive open online course (MOOC) on "eTourism: Communication Perspectives" by Università della Svizzera italiana
WHEN: October-November, 2015
The Università della Svizzera italiana (Lugano, Switzerland) in partnership with the UNESCO chair in ICT to develop and promote sustainable tourism in World Heritage Sites, and implemented by eLab, are offering an massive open online course on "eTourism: Communication Perspectives". The course targets destination managers, professionals active in the tourism industry, policy makers, students in tourism and hospitality programs, as well as educators and researchers.
The free course will begin in October 2015. You can already enroll for the course on the iversity platform at https://iversity.org/en/courses/etourism. Speakers include: Professor Lorenzo Cantoni, Dr. Nadzeya Kalbaska, Dr. Elena Marchiori, and Dr. Silvia Matilde De Ascaniis.
Key eTourism Concepts and Tools
The course explores how and why information and communication technologies (ICTs) matter for tourism – both for personal experiences and for the tourism industry at large. Course participants will explore eTourism by using tools and models from the Communication Sciences.
Key concepts and theories covered include:
- Online communication model;
- Roman Jakobson's Communication Model;
- Quality of online contents;
- User Generated Content;
- Reputation in online media; and
- Intercultural communication and localization.
ITCs in Tourism: Course Objectives
By the end of the course, learners will have learned:
- what communication is, and its major components, ICTs and their relevance to the tourism field.
- how to be aware of the crucial role played by communication and ICTs within the tourism and hospitality sectors.
- current eTourism applications, technologies and practices.
- how to map different communication activities within the tourism sector.
- what kinds of online training courses can be used for the knowledge upgrade within tourism and hospitality.
- how to run a usability test and how to make usages analysis of a website or mobile app.
- how to plan, run and evaluate eTourism related activities, especially when it comes to the analysis of online reputation of a tourism destination.
As part of our efforts to promote training and professional development opportunities in the tourism industry, our Industry Opportunities section highlights various events and programs that are relevant to tourism professionals. If your organization offers training programs and other professional development opportunities, and would like to spread the word through the TrainingAid network, please let us know (media [at] trainingaid.org)!