Building a System That Delivers
Designed for professionals leading or engaged in sustainability management at tourism businesses, this course provides practical guidance on applying key sustainability management principles and techniques, and useful tools for managing, monitoring and continuously improving sustainability practices. By working on practical steps to implement these tools, you will be able to start building a sustainability management system for your own business, and be prepared to continuously track and improve your performance.
Make sustainability matter for your tourism business
In order to incorporate sustainability into your tourism business in a meaningful way, your action steps must be not only based on business needs and sustainability priorities, but also supported by a solid strategic framework. Building an integrated sustainability management system, which supports existing plans and helps guide overall strategic approaches to sustainability, is among the most important steps that you need for your business, so that you can be confident that your sustainability efforts lead to tangible results and measurable benefits.
But what does it mean to have a sustainability management system? What should such a system include, and how can it be designed and implemented? This course covers all these key questions to help you integrate sustainability confidently into your tourism business, through a solid system that you can use to implement concrete sustainability action steps.
What does the course cover?
This course provides:
- Practical lessons on applying the Plan-Do-Check-Act management approach, and implementing proven management techniques for your own tourism business.
- Hands-on exercises using management tools such as policies, risk assessments, and action plans to help you develop an effective sustainability management system for your business.
- Guidance to help you build your own toolbox for managing, monitoring and continuously improving your sustainability practices.
- Opportunities to learn from real-life examples of tourism businesses making sustainability a key part of business success.
How will this benefit your business?
This course will allow you to:
- Be ready to apply a systematic and holistic approach to your own sustainability strategy.
- Save time and money by efficiently and effectively designing and implementing a sustainability management system for your tourism business.
- Improve your performance by integrating sustainability confidently into your business operations.
Is this course for you?
This course is designed for tourism industry professionals leading or engaged in managing sustainability efforts. Regardless of the size or scope of your business, or where you currently are in your sustainability journey, a good management approach is a must.
- For those who are in an early stage, this course will be a great way to gain a solid understanding of the tools you need for implementing your sustainability practices, and to help accelerate your efforts.
- For those who are further along in their journeys, this course will offer valuable insights to help you navigate the ever-changing field of business sustainability solutions, and implement tangible steps to enhance your sustainability management system.
Are there prerequisites for joining this course?
In order to participate in this course, you will need:
- A good understanding of the concept of sustainability, and the key principles to be followed in order to implement sustainability practices for a business.
- Experience working in the tourism industry, preferably professional experience at tourism businesses (e.g. tour operators, accommodation providers) interested or involved in sustainability. You do not need to have a current position that fits this requirement, but it’s important that you understand the context of how tourism businesses work.
What does this mean for businesses that have or are seeking to achieve sustainable tourism certification?
This course is designed to be certification-compatible.
Most certification programs require businesses to have a management system that fulfils their criteria for sustainability management.
While each program will have specific requirements, by developing and implementing a sustainability management system that holistically covers all key areas of sustainability, you will be building a system for your business in a way that will help your journey in pursuing sustainability certification, if certification is (currently or in the future) a relevant goal for your business.
Can't join this edition? The following additional course dates are scheduled in 2022:
- Apr 25 - May 20, 2022
- Oct 3 - 28, 2022
If you're interested in joining one of the future editions, please let us know and we will notify you when registration opens.
Scheduled Live Session Times
*The live sessions are scheduled for 12pm CET (Central European Time, UTC+1). Please be sure to check the correct time in your local time zone.
Learn. Practice. Implement.
Weekly course activities include self-study (video lessons, reading materials, online discussion forums), scheduled live sessions with presentations and group exercises, and hands-on practice, applying what you learn to your own business / organization.
As an overarching approach to management, and as guiding principles to apply to your tourism business' sustainability management system, you will learn to use the PDCA (plan - do - check - act or plan - do - check - adjust) model, which is an iterative design and management method for the control and continuous improvement of processes and products.
Following the model, you will learn how to ensure your sustainability management system is built to support continuous improvement of your performance.
Commitment and Communication
To guide your sustainability commitments and to enable informed decisions that lead to meaningful impacts, you need a solid foundation provided by your sustainability policy and strategy. You will learn WHAT they are, WHY they matter, HOW they can be crafted and used, and WHO will impact and be impacted by the process of implementing your sustainability policy and strategy.
Your strategy will only be useful if actually implemented. That's why you need a sustainability management system that reflect the continuous improvement model, as your management system will serve as an effective way to bring your strategy to life.
And of course, a key part of bringing your strategy to life is how you work with your stakeholders. As such, you will learn about key steps in identifying, understanding, communicating with, and engaging both internal and external stakeholders.
Impact Assessment and Management
As we often hear, "you can't manage what you don't measure." Measuring your impact, therefore, is a critical aspect of your sustainability management system. But it's also important to note that you can't measure what you don't benchmark.
You will follow practical steps to start benchmarking, so you can track and assess your progress over time.
In addition, you will be able to add key tools to your sustainability management toolbox, such as risk assessment and management, impact assessment throughout your supply chain, and target setting.
You will learn about key steps to effective action planning, which will allow you to apply your entrepreneurial skills and sustainability knowledge to strengthen your business practices.
A key aspect of implementing a management approach to sustainability is empowering your team members and stakeholders to successfully execute actions. As such, you will learn about best practices in training, employee development and team building.
You will also learn how to develop and deliver reports in an effective way, helping coordinate internal and external communications and facilitating decision-making at the organization level.